The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of Visit St. Mary’s MD. The Executive Director is responsible for the growth of tourism and convention/meeting business. The Executive Director oversees the development and execution of the Tourism Master Plan and marketing and sales strategies and provides strategic leadership and oversight of VSMMD. This highly visible position interfaces with key community, government, hospitality, media and tourism leaders and demonstrates VSM’s positive impact on St. Mary’s County. The Executive Director works at the pleasure of the VSMMD Board of Directors and works closely with St. Mary’s County Economic Development Department.
2 years DMO leadership experience with strong skills in product development, leisure marketing and meetings and sports sales.
Management experience a must.
Destination development and experiential development important.
Experience collaborating with Economic Development departments/offices on business recruitment programs.
Experience collaborating with volunteer boards, elected officials, and the public.
An understanding of marketing, public relations, and communications.
Experience in recruiting and building an exceptional product development and sales and marketing team.
Experience selling and leading a sales team to attract sporting events, conventions and meetings.
Understanding of budgeting, financial analysis, with full P&L responsibility.
Experience with setting goals, measuring success and holding others accountable.
About Visit St. Mary's MD
Visit St. Mary’s MD (VSMMD) serves as the official tourism organization for St. Mary’s County (County) to market and support local hotels and attractions by developing and facilitating the visitor industry in St. Mary’s County. VSMMD fills the function as a destination development, marketing and visitor service provider.
• Private, non-profit 501(c)(6)
• Funded through 5% occupancy tax which goes to the County and is currently designated to be a funding source for VSMMD
• It is anticipated that VSMMD staff will consist of 3 full time positions to support the key areas outlined in the THMP (including the Executive Director).
• The VSMMD bylaws provide for an initial Board of Directors of 5 members. The VSMMD Board will appoint additional board members after the completion of the VSMMD formation. The board will be made up of industry leaders who have expertise in key visitor areas of St. Mary’s County.
• The VSMMD budget is approximately $400,000 annually, excluding office rental and supplies. The budget will fluctuate based on the growth of the County’s hotel tax.